Friday, September 07, 2007

The Toughest Job at Ironman Wisconsin 2007

Now that I've been on the course a few times previewing the bike, swim, and run logistics I realize that my personal (arguably selfish) Ironman event is likely not going to be the most challenging "job" come Sunday. My wife, my parents, and some other very supportive family members have traveled half way across America today to support ME. They arrive in waves over the next few hours. Thus begins where the real work will be done.

This cast includes our son Travis (9), daughter Olivia (6), and daughter Madison (2.5mos). MY WIFE HEATHER has the biggest challenge on race day...where to watch, how to entertain kids (I am quite certain, amongst 2400 bikes passing at 7-9 meters apart, she'll hear "but where is Dad" at least 32 times), how to feed kids amongst chaotic crowds, bus travel to and from bike course, how to take care of newborn, how many times to go back and forth to cabin (20min drive from bike course), etc...All I have to do is swim, bike, and run with hundreds of volunteers catering to my every need. Hopefully when (and if!) I pass by my kids during the event they won't accidentally yell out "Dad, I'm hungry" or "When are you going to be done?" instead of perhaps more inspirational words. If they do, It'll just be a boost to remind me that what I'm doing is a short break from more important lifetime responsibilities.

Lets all remember the sacrifices our families, our supporting crew, and hundreds of friendly local citizens make so we can feed our addiction to endorphins and our personal definitions of athletic (and life) success. Thank you most to Heather and everyone in my family and circle of friends who are making this possible. I will try to have my best day for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home