Saturday, July 28, 2007

EPO? Magic? Red Bull?

This post has little to do with the Tour de France debacle. And I'm not on EPO despite references below.

Today I began what was to be a solid paced 4.5hr aerobic ride. I figured on going out with one other rider and averaging somewhere about 18mph. I was to follow the ride with a 1 hour t-run. During the first 40miles of the ride I was simply flat. We averaged 19.4mph so I guess "flat" is relative. Regarless I just didn't feel right. So I struggled through the next 25miles just hanging on. Then the EPO suddenly kicked in.

As a great confidence booster I suddenly, and mysteriously, had tons of bike energy so I used it climbing hills and keeping a solid pace in the flats. All the way home for the last 25 miles I felt great. Then I jumped on the run and did well also. I have no explanation for feeling so flat then suddenly feeling so energized.

A great lesson learned...keep pacing and the energy will come if the nutrition is right. Now all I have to do is complete a 2.25hr run at 5AM tomorrow and a 30min run in the afternoon!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brett said...

Two-a-days? Yikes. Bet that'll toughen your legs though. Hope it's going well, training and daddying. I think we're going to join the Y soon. You'll have to clue me in on spin-class, swims, etc.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home