Thursday, September 06, 2007

Living the Dream - Two Days to Race Day

Wow. Talk about fit humans roaming the city. I've never seen so many ripped legs and lean powerful looking athletes. Marathon does not compare.

I have been in Madison for about a day and a half now and have already learned a ton about experiencing an Ironman.

1) Not lodging downtown was a great idea. My family and I are staying 15 minutes away at a tiny resort with three small cabins on a small lake. This serves two purposes (1) I don't have to spend 24x7 watching these uber-athletes train and talk IM all around me (a blessing to my fragile nerves) and (2) I have my own private lake to swim in.
2) A bike course can be more intimidating in a car than on a bike(what? you say). We drove the entire two-loop course today and it was non-stop hills. Up. Down. Up. Up. Down. Once I got out and rode 15 miles including the two steepest hills I was mildly less intimidated.
3) Being a part of Ironman now seems more important than "racing" Ironman. What I mean is that, as I become more immersed in all of this, I am less concerned with racing and more concerned with finishing and having a great day.

Here is a self portrait I took of myself at sunset today on "my lake" (Lake Kengosa) where our cabins are located. I won't swim IM in this lake but I will do all my local training swims here!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brett said...

Again, have a great race, and enjoy yourself. Sounds like you are on the right track for that. I'll be following along ....

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home