Saturday, October 27, 2007

Emerald Isle Duathlon (supposed to be tri!)

The Emerald Isle Triathlon has become my season ending sprint triathlon. It's qualities include a fun crowd, good organization, low key (no affiliation with NCTS), and a GREAT open ocean swim. Its an awesome, fun race.

Well, "dangerous surf conditions" resulted in cancellation of this year's swim portion. Personally, I think it was just too dangerous for newbies. But that's my new swim confidence talking. At any rate they decided to turn it into a 5K run first then the 20K bike. Sounded kind of lame but ended up playing right into my strength.

They only had three waves and mine started first. I decided I would try to put in a really solid 5K since I hadn't timed myself at that distance in years. Then I'd just hang on during the bike. If I got frustrated I'd say "well, its not really a true race anyway" and just have fun. So I thought.

As the starting horn went off I began a reasonable pace near the front then watched about 20 runners get out ahead of me. Suddenly the competitive robot in me kicked in. I began to hammer my way through the crowd passing one after another. By the end of the run I'd be in second place going into transition with an 18:02 5K. Pretty solid for me.

But then came the bike. I had an OK transition and was off on the flat course into the wind on the first half. Still in 2nd place and cranking about 21mph I thought I had a chance at a really good race. Then about mile 2 I was passed. And again about mile 5, twice. And again about half way. I kept the pressure on the pedals and by the time we were hammering along with the wind at 24mph about 3/4 into the bike I could see nobody behind me for 200 yards and I was sitting in 5th place heading towards the finish.

Coming across the finish mat I was pretty fired up with my "its not really a race" finish. I definitely tried very hard (maxed out my heart rate and did 100% of the race in the blow up zone). I ended up 1st in my age group and 6th overall since some guy (who was 50!) in a later age group beat my time as well at the 4 who passed me on the bike.

My results were good enough for 1st in my age group as well. I still wish we swam into the surf, however. Then there would have been no single digit placement story for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brett said...

Congrats! Podium action! You are a stud with an 18 minute 5k! Wow ... Hope things are well with the fam.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home