Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Art of the Mangled Xterra Taper

Triathlon has a lot of words associated with it. Some words I have learned (or words that have been re-defined) over the past year that have become near and dear to me include but are not limited to:

T1, T2, VO2 max, turbo spin, tubulars, clinchers, catch-up, lactate threshold, Max HR, HR zone, Xterra, periodization...I could go on...low GI, electrolyte tabs, brick, t-run...

My favorite this week is the word "taper". I have several friends competing next week in an Ironman (CDA) and they are tapering now. What is a taper? I think its when you systematically back off your training in a methodical way before an event in order to rest your body. This is because your event is one requiring a significantly greater than normal effort and you want maximum performance.

This week I am personally abusing my own mini-taper due to poor planning and even one or two circumstances beyond my control (no such thing in triathlon training?). Its a story about how I've decimated this week's workout and taper. I have my first Xterra event Saturday which will likely be difficult. And I would like to do well (against myself). As a result I had a very carefully planned taper this week.

On day 1 of my taper week, Monday, I did a short, easy spin and some weights but I missed my regular Monday swim thinking I would move it to Tuesday. Then I got busy (self inflicted problem) Tuesday and did a mountain bike ride only. Today, I missed my swim and my road bike due to thunder and lightning so I have done nothing (this too is self inflicted as I could have at least rode inside or in the rain between storms). Tomorrow, previously scheduled as a ride-only day, I am thinking about making up a bike, short run, and moderate swim to catch up but I only have from 5:45AM-8AM to cram it all in. Then I travel all day Thursday and Friday. Oh, did I mention I'm not running right now due to injury?

So, in order to ice the cake on this anti-taper I think I need to go eat a big dinner and have a glass of wine to celebrate my missed workouts. Bring on the weekend and Xterra so I can end this mess and have some HUGE FUN!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home